It really could be the title of a country song – I’ve got dibs on it!! OK – I woke up yesterday morning thinking – it’s trash day. We need to empty the attic. Of course hubby says – “what’s up there? I had the boys bring down all the empty boxes??” Well, that is what popped into my head… There’s an old doll house in the attic…
I’m a sentimental pack rat, daughter of sentimental pack rats, married to a sentimental pack rat. We are doomed. That must be why, when we tell our kids to clean up their room, everything becomes a treasure. I started a new mantra this spring, if it doesn’t have a home, it’s trash. Well, that didn’t work for them or for me.
The old doll house in the attic was really, really old, it was mine, made by the hands of my father out of plywood and little itty bitty nails. Not fancy, a 2 story jobber with simply cut archways for doors. It was perfect for me & my dolls - Dawn Dolls (I'm pretty sure they are still in my parents' attic!). And its old and absolutely caving in with poor itty bitty rusted nails... This move is the move it didn’t make the cut. Also tossed (actually, properly recycled) was my little 12 inch black & white TV I got when I went off to college. Digital TV sealed its fate. It still had a really clear picture as of December (the last time we turned it on for a giggle – imagine – NO REMOTE – it had knobs t
hat actually went click, clack as you turned them AND rabbit ears – a real charmer) Also ran across a box from my old room at “home” marked in my mother’s handwriting, “Karen’s HS bulletin board, plaques and HS diploma”. It isn’t making the cut either, I’m taking a picture of the awards from high school before it all gets tossed. (yes, that's the purple sock I wore my senior year - smack dab in the middle!) But I did save the diploma. The school doesn’t even stand anymore – they tore it down last year for a new middle school. Rude. Ironically, I'll miss the next reunion - it's the week after we fly to India!
Things from the attic that did make the cut – treasures for sure (HA!) – but heading for “storage”: snow shovel, 2 snow sleds, and 4 dining chair frames (they need seats) from Belgium. Of course, there was a bit more but not so interesting…
On to the tossing of the closets - I know I just did this in the last 2 months - some gremlin invaded them and stashed stuff in them all over again... oh well, it's all treasure.
I’m a sentimental pack rat, daughter of sentimental pack rats, married to a sentimental pack rat. We are doomed. That must be why, when we tell our kids to clean up their room, everything becomes a treasure. I started a new mantra this spring, if it doesn’t have a home, it’s trash. Well, that didn’t work for them or for me.
The old doll house in the attic was really, really old, it was mine, made by the hands of my father out of plywood and little itty bitty nails. Not fancy, a 2 story jobber with simply cut archways for doors. It was perfect for me & my dolls - Dawn Dolls (I'm pretty sure they are still in my parents' attic!). And its old and absolutely caving in with poor itty bitty rusted nails... This move is the move it didn’t make the cut. Also tossed (actually, properly recycled) was my little 12 inch black & white TV I got when I went off to college. Digital TV sealed its fate. It still had a really clear picture as of December (the last time we turned it on for a giggle – imagine – NO REMOTE – it had knobs t
Things from the attic that did make the cut – treasures for sure (HA!) – but heading for “storage”: snow shovel, 2 snow sleds, and 4 dining chair frames (they need seats) from Belgium. Of course, there was a bit more but not so interesting…
On to the tossing of the closets - I know I just did this in the last 2 months - some gremlin invaded them and stashed stuff in them all over again... oh well, it's all treasure.
![Reblog this post [with Zemanta]](http://img.zemanta.com/reblog_e.png?x-id=ffd6f392-2898-4393-ba7a-d1d0d2daa6c6)
No comments:
Post a Comment