Monday, March 12, 2012

That was in February

At the time of my "hello, I'm really still here" post, I knew that we would be going to Big Bend National Park. One of those places on my Texas Bucket List. The Boy Scouts were planning a Philmont check-out hike and I was planning to take the girls for some "parallel play". We were planning to stay in the civilized campsite in Chisos Basin while the guys were hiking in the back country. We were up for the adventure!! As time approached... plans changed, but not to drastically. Hubby had a nerve thing happening in his foot which led to new orthotics. He wasn't exactly thrilled about trying out the new orthotics on a 4 day trek. Then wouldn't ya know - Joey broke is "Grand Toe" (yes, that is the official medical jargon for big toe) So I happily invite them to camp with us girls in the Basin. Ironically, neither were as thrilled as us girls! Go figure!
Jamie is still going with the scout group - his belongings for the 4 days in his pack. We pack everything but the kitchen sink in the minivan - good thing Jamie was with the scouts, we would have had to strap him to the roof!
Off we go... we depart about an hour or two after the scouts. Hubby is going along with the idea, I think simply to please me. Joey is verbally against the whole idea - he even volunteered to stay home to dog sit. ("After all," he said, "it would be a good time to see if I can cook for myself." "hmpf/HA!", I replied)
Did you know the state of TEXAS is HUGE??
Did you know it is a good 8 hours to get to Big Bend from Austin??
Did you know there is NOTHING (really) out there about 2 hours from Big Bend??
Did you know there is a marathon run out in Marathon, TX (the last semblance of civilization before the park)??
Did you know the animal which should be on all of the Big Bend paraphernalia should be the mountain lion and NOT the bear??
Did you know there have only been 4 mountain lion attacks in Big Bend since forever?? Well, two of those happened while we were there. And one of them included our family. Yes, we are ok. Yes, we still shake our heads in amazement. Yes, I know God was with us in this wonderful Big Bend National Park. So on with the adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment