Ok - again, groceries are right up there in my ideas of the day...
Spied a box of Old El Paso Fajita kit (8 tortillas, sauce, season packet, probably not much else) price: 600 rupees. (Rs500 = $10) No, I did not buy it. Rice Krispies about $8 for a "regular" box... if I can find them (yes, they rank on ouor list of "needs"!) . Milk 1/2 liter Rs 10 (20cents) ... see they are sensible about the things they eat - rice, dal, seasoning... milk... very reasonable. Sandwich meat - if you can find it $8 for 5 slices, whoops - only us crazy Americans buy that stuff.
The other day I was on a mission of purchasing a CASE of juice boxes... manager said "no, mam, not possible". But then took me to the refrigerator of cokes (and juice boxes) and proceeded to pack all of the cold juice boxes from the fridge into my basket - what a hoot - I ended up with a case worth! Went to another store (about 2 blocks away) the manager/owner there proudly had his stock "boy" carry a case to the car for me!! will wonders never cease!! And yes - they are reasonably priced!
As for other items - I bought a pair of sandals on the street for Rs 100 - 2 bucks! And I've had complements on them!! And hey don't hurt (too bad!)...
Health care - amazing - took 2 of the four kids to a pediatrician on Monday - not a bad experience, overall. Not may favorite place (It didn't smell or look too dirty - considering we are in India! I just really didn't want to breath or touch anything... in fact Joey recommended the stairs up 4 floors vs the scary elevator!! I'm so proud of him!!) Anyway, the cost of the visit - with no insurance was Rs400 - not even 10 bucks!! medicine - you don't really need a prescription... just tell them what you want... antibiotics and Tylenol equivalent - spent less than $2. wow.
Now, please understand, groceries and such have a "fair market price" stamped on them... so it is very similar from grocery store to grocery store... the sandals, I haggled for - not too hard, just enough to be respectable. Then there is the fact of miscommunication - we are indeed shopping for a dog... I wanted to snag one of the many many street dogs, well, a puppy. Well, hubby nixed that (but it is looking favorable!) They are literally mangy, very sick puppies. We went to see a doberman "puppy" - who turned out to be 6 months old. (have you ever seen a 6 month old doberman puppy?? they are just about full grown - well, not quite, but very large for a "puppy") He was very well behaved - makes our old Abbey dog look like a crazy maniac (ok, she is a very happy dog and shows her emotions!) We all heard Rs 17,000 on Saturday. (Me, hubby & Joey) but turns out the man said Rs 70,000 (that's about $1,300) HA! Choke! no dog in India is worth that. Les looked at the papers and noted the inbreeding. We simply misunderstood the Engrish. The reason the kennel was selling the "best quality show dog" is they were planning to import a new male dog. I think that price would cover the new dog!!! So now a street puppy is looking good!!!
Teh today was another example of funny purchasing/prduct use/display... I needed to purchase some tennis balls. Tadah - located cans of tennis balls at my favorite 5 Star... upon inspection ... turns out eah and everyone of the cans had been opened!! (I thought of our sweet neighbor & friend Meghan who is known to open a can of new tennis balls for a good sniff! We miss you!!) Turns out they sell the balls individually. I should have announced my dismay and frustration and suggeested that they simply leave the cans closed until some one wants to purchase an individual tennis ball HA!! Oh well, I was happy to find them in the first place!
Everyday is an adventure!!!!
A Weekend To Remember
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment