Thursday, October 29, 2009

my favorite room...

You just walked with me to my favorite place in our house in India. We have our Family Sunday Worship Service up there. I eat lunch up there (when I'm home!) We've had friends up there. We've watched fireworks up there. We've had birthday dinners up there. It's a wonderful place.

Last night I had a look at it from a different perspective - wind and rain. The wind was blown horizontally and seemed to funnel it right to the door - not a low spot mind you - just the door. In wonderful Indian construction sense, there is no threshold. There is simply a gap under the door. It seemed to be covered and away from the edge of the overhang, it never occured to me that water would come under the door, way over there - well, welcome to India - welcome to monsoon season - and this was just a warm up! Water cascaded right down those white marble steps - and I mean a LOT of water. Amazing. Our "live in" gardener's wife came in to cheerfully help sop the water up - thankfully we could simply squeegee it into the drain of the ground floor bathroom (oh, such a practical thing to have a drain in the floor of the bathroom!). What a hoot. Amazingly, the waterfall just dampened one box (of 8!), the girls' little art table and my spirit - but that was so temporary. After sharing my woes - we have come up with a plan for the next big rain. Good thing because I see lightening approaching from the Bay of Bengal! Let it rain let it rain let it rain! It will only wash the grime away from my favorite room.

PS - the water also came rushing into the dining room UNDER that door - again, no threshold just a gap. So tonight we peer out our dining room "french doors" (I use that term loosely) into a lovely blue tarp!!

No comments:

Post a Comment