Saturday, November 7, 2009

Paying Bills (back to my babble)

Well, we've passed yet another "first of the month" here in Chennai. (note, I'm not counting how many months it has been!!) And I'm having trouble keeping track of who I owe, how do I pay them, where do I pay them, and how much was it again??
In the States, we had the majority of our bills paid online - if not directly, I knew the list of what to expect and bills came in the MAIL. In Chennai, we are back to "old school", complete with a ledger book!

Here's a little taste of our billage:

Rent - paid by "the company" - whew

Cars - write a check and the man appears to be paid in person.

Drivers - paid for by the car rental company (see above)we give them a bit extra as they work for a service vs. independent - they would probably make more as independents.

Security - the old school man of the security company appears at our door for cash around 8:30 at night to "check on his employees" not necessarily to collect the cash?!

Household help - cash with a smile.

Water - household water comes from a well in the yard! It has a grate over it, with paint can lids in the bottom AND the kingfisher likes to go swooping down to get bugs or fish! Really, fish! Anyway - it's included in the rent. Whew, again.

Cooking gas - there's a tank under the cabinet. it's not really a monthly thing. Kumar dutifully takes it to the LP gas place ad brings back a full one.

Drinking water - a little truck appears on Saturday - cash, not much at all! little over a dollar a 25 L bottle.

Garbage man - man with a cycle cart with garbage cans on it - he sorts the recycling right on the street. He gets Rs 200 but at one point I think we only paid Rs 100. Oh well, it won't kill us!

Cable - there was a little man who came to the house the first month - we were told that there was English cable. The man said no problem but we needed to pay the past due amount, two months(which wasn't really our bill). Brace yourself, "How much?" Rs 350/mo. Really!!? no problem, pay the man, get the cable turned on, we are happy. Here's the kicker - Each month, the little man appears at our gate & takes our Rs 350 (like $7) to the office and returns with a receipt!

Milk man - we don't actually drink the little 500 ml bag of milk. Our "staff" likes their tea (which is actually more milk than tea!) and my theory is a happy staff is a happy house, so I get them milk delivered everyday for their tea (by a guy on a motorcycle with milk crates lashed to the back). I do this mainly because I refuse to have to think about it anymore than I really need to! That's Rs 400 cash at the gate for happy people. I'm beginning to think I may be soft with my staff, really, I'm just trying to be nice.

Cell phone - we have multiple accounts. This is the only mail we receive at our house!! the bill. This one I can give to Kumar who takes the payment to the Airtel office. Funny thing - as soon as the bills are paid - we receive a text message confirmation "immediately"- cool - I know where Kumar is & he didn't forget!

House phone - phone rings...some recording seems to have randomly called and then it says something rapidly in Tamil...turns out it is the amount owed! Sorry, I didn't catch that?! It took a good month to get that bill converted to an email bill. whew. Kumar drives the check to the office!

House electric - this one is still rather confusing (like none of the above is confusing!) There is a Tamil written card, like a card stock card a little bigger than an index card, that we keep at the house. Someone (not sure who) is supposed to read the meter, write it on the card then we send in a check (with the driver!) Funny, for some reason - we have 2 meters, one major, one minor -who knows what it runs. Therefore, Kumar stood his ground and they will be coming to cut that line (wonder what'll go dark?!) and I had to write a second check - no such thing as credit on your account!! Oh and this bill is every other month! Wonder who will read the meter then?!

So whew, we made it through paying the bills... Now to keep track of our little ledger book!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen, I am Krupa. Hope you remember!

    Just read your blog on bill payment. You can make 'monthly electricity charges' as well as airtel bill payment through internet.check http://www.tnebnet.org/awp/TNEB/ and www.airtel.in.

    Cheers,
    Krupa

    ReplyDelete