Monday, May 24, 2010

Rain




Rain
May 19 2010

I just looked at a weather site for Chennai. I googled it, as I have no particular site I go to for weather. I choose the one that literally had a disclaimer “do no base any important decisions on this forecast”. At least they are honest!!! As of 6:24 PM we have had 134.1 mm of rain (that’s a whopping 5.28 inches!). To put that in perspective, we’ve had 148 mm (5.8 in) the whole month and 153.6 mm (6.05 in) this year. So, a lot of rain TODAY. Cyclone Laila is bouncing off the coast here at the Bay of Bengal. We are getting drenched. On a very good note… it is cooler and cleansing in a dirty-India sort of way.


Out popped the umbrellas, the mega water puddles and the plastic bags as rain bonnets. The majority of the population has been much more than inconvenienced. As busy and incredible they just keep on moving, well for the most part. And most are moving a bit slower. Ok, maybe some aren’t’ moving much at all. But think about it. They are WET, with many of them a very little possibility of getting real dry today. I tried to catch some of this with my camera…



We are being just a tad inconvenienced (humbled by the world outside our walls). Wind blew tiles off the table on the roof (and arose such a clatter), I broke my toe (as I jumped out of bed to see what was the matter), a roll of TP was soaked (no one threw back the sash it just leaked) and the power has been off since 3AM (and to all a good night).

No comments:

Post a Comment