Whew - a big ole truck brought a container with bunch of stuff to our house Saturday. Most of it looks familiar and it was really all in this house before (except 5 pieces of furniture, a few spoons & tablecloths) BUT it just doesn't fit.
We (well, I know I did) felt self conscious many times in India about all of our STUFF. We have a lot of it. And I confess, more than the average American. (Yes, I am a pack rat - but it's all good stuff) So there was a juxtaposition of incongruities when our 40 container was parked just about next door to a 12x10 banana leaf hut. Talk about feeling self conscious. Ugh.
But alas, it is here. And unloaded, big stuff unwrapped. Took 5 men 5 days to pack and load in India. Then it traveled on a huge ship (a rather speedy yet "slow boat") for 8 weeks. And today, 6 men and 2 women took 8 hours to unload and unpack (80% unpacked). I have already tossed a couple of boxes worth. But it is here.
We all like our stuff. And I really like the opportunity to re-evaluate our junk as we try to find a special place for each little bit. UGH. I'll work on that tomorrow (and the day after, and the day after...)
We (well, I know I did) felt self conscious many times in India about all of our STUFF. We have a lot of it. And I confess, more than the average American. (Yes, I am a pack rat - but it's all good stuff) So there was a juxtaposition of incongruities when our 40 container was parked just about next door to a 12x10 banana leaf hut. Talk about feeling self conscious. Ugh.
But alas, it is here. And unloaded, big stuff unwrapped. Took 5 men 5 days to pack and load in India. Then it traveled on a huge ship (a rather speedy yet "slow boat") for 8 weeks. And today, 6 men and 2 women took 8 hours to unload and unpack (80% unpacked). I have already tossed a couple of boxes worth. But it is here.
We all like our stuff. And I really like the opportunity to re-evaluate our junk as we try to find a special place for each little bit. UGH. I'll work on that tomorrow (and the day after, and the day after...)
No comments:
Post a Comment