Monday, August 10, 2009

The First Day of School...

First Day of School!
Tahdah – we were late…water bottle tragedy in the backpack before making it to the main road, thankfully, had an easy recovery but we were late… but we made it – each kid to their destination and I picked up very happy kids at the end of the day!!
We went first to the third floor (Anna: “I can find my class by myself”)… dropped off Joey at his door… then back down, around the cafeteria and pool (Anna: “ok, I’m confused, I might need help finding my class”) to find the PE class for Jamie, they were gone to destination unknown but a school person showed up with another lost PE soul and took Jamie under her wing… backtrack through the courtyards (which are lushe with great plantings!) then to the other wing… off to drop off Alina at her door and then there was Anna… “Stop at that line mommy, I know where I’m going and I want to go by myself!” Sure enough, I added something to her backpack and whoosh, off she went!! She just barely looked back!
There I was, surrounded by people, but all alone. I know that must be a song or something! It was hard to pick up languages, the Koreans were easy enough then the second highest group was the French and then I think the Germans. Bumped into an occasional American – quick exchange of names and niceties, off we went on our own way. Thank goodness I had my friend JJ to call. Hubby had met her and her husband at the Park Sheraton on one of his earlier trips. They use it as an extension to their apartment which is nearby… using the pool and frequenting the restaurants… It was nice to have a person to meet while we were in the hotel. Best part is – yes, we are friends. We can talk, chat, share ideas, talk about family and it feels comfortable. I think of her as my instant friend. Whew… now when I was all “alone” I called her and off we went to the mall – yes, this one is a true mall in the good ole American sense of the word! I actually got a bird guide book for India! Good find!
Anna had early release. Desperately needed groceries – namely salami – only found at Anna Naama… back to the city center (scored with a find of sliced ham 100 g for 300 Rs or $8 wow!)… desperately needed veggies and fruits… off to the nice veggie & fruit market… no time to go home and return to school… went to school & hung out for 1 ½ hours, prayed that the groceries didn’t bake in the car… Anna played, I looked at my bird book, met some more people… picked up a very happy Alina. Waited a bit more and appeared a very happy Jamie – with his eyes on the PTA Store (a grocery type store with American items!) and then a content Joey… all was well. Only one homework assignment, due Monday. The hardest part of that will be finding the poster board!! Everyone was bubbly on the way home…
Sorry, no traditional first day of school photo, embarrassed and late middle school boys don’t like that idea. Maybe tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment