Friday, July 31, 2009

I miss Walgreen's - I think, I'm just tired

Well, a lot has happened the last couple of days - a lot of driving in circles. At least, that is how it feels. When you don't drive yourself, you are not learning the roads. I keep seeing "landmarks" that trigger that, "oh, I remember being here before" but who knows how to get here! Here is one of the notable shopping efforts of the past days:
THE GREAT PHARMACY HUNT
We need a prescription medicine. When I was here on the preview trip, I took the medicine into a pharmacy to see if it was available here (most are! without a prescription!). And it was, although not in the same strength, no worries we can work with it. While we still have about 10 days worth, I thought it best to track some down. Good idea! Our driver was heading to an Apollo Pharmacy - Apollo is the name of the hospital and pharmacy "chain". And I use "chain" loosely. I really think the only thing similar is the sign out front, they are not linked like good ole Walgreen's - no online refills, they don't call each other.... So on the way to the pharmacy (driving in circles) he stops to ask directions (bad sign we need directions so soon but very, very good he stopped to ask!!) First stop: look at the bottle, pick up the reference book, head bobble, refer to colleague, walk around, look at reference book, head bobble, go to back, book again, "no sorry mam, it is not here". OK - I think we need to find the pharmacy we visited in Dec. Driver is concerned, "we go to a bigger pharmacy"... he drives more in the circle, we stop at the hospital (good idea!!) As a side note, the entrance to the hospital wasn't as ominous or scary as I had imagined - it didn't even smell bad - whew. The "chemists" refer to the book, tahdah - they find it in their book and tell me to write down the name to ask for because, no, they do not have it. Driver is concerned. We continue on our circle drive (I KNOW we NEVER turned left, only rights!) Stop at another Apollo Pharmacy, no not here but I finally ask, "can you order it?" hmmm, that really stump the chemist. From his reaction I think you probably can but I thought it might be better to ask a pharmacy "closer to home", meanwhile, head bobble, he tells me to check next door (another pharmacy, really!) That guy just barely looked at the name and replied, "you need a prescription", but do you have it?? "no". HA! What an experience. About an hour and a half later, I return to the hotel. No medicine but hope that I can order it at some other Apollo Pharmacy "closer to home" and thankful that I didn't drag the kids on the wild goose chase!

some scenes from the great pharmacy hunt - and yes, these were taken in "downtown"Chennai:




1 comment:

  1. let us know if we can ship anything to you? You must have been so frustrated!! Love the pics...they are priceless.

    ReplyDelete